Friday, April 22, 2011


 The Magic Flute at HSU
 Interview: Rachel Parti, designer
 
  “I’m designing costumes, set and lighting—a scenographic experience, though honestly that wasn’t what I thought I was going to be doing when I started this project. But it’s what I’m trained for in my graduate theatre program as a scenographer, to design for all aspects of the show. So it’s been a wonderful opportunity and a wonderful challenge.

We’re doing a Mayan Magic Flute. We considered several ancient civilizations, because we didn’t want to do a traditional Egyptian motif. The Mayans were handy in that they had pyramids, but the more that I did research into the time period and culture, the more there was really a fit with The Magic Flute, because the Mayans held birds and feathers as very sacred, and this ties in nicely with the themes of The Magic Flute.

I prefer Gist Hall Theatre as a venue because it’s so intimate. I like the JVD but the audience is at such a remove. I’m a painter really at heart, and every single part of this production is painted or decorated, including the floor. It’s all going to be much more visible in Gist.

This is going to be a really unique production. We’ve gotten a lot of support from the music department and the theatre department. Everybody really wants to make it a success."

Photo: Philip de Roulet and Christopher Hatcher

No comments: